Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oh, New York City...

Anybody who has spent at least several years in New York City and enjoyed it, can't help but compare it to every other city they go to. I am very guilty of this. While wandering around Santiago I can't help but draw constant comparisons, which I know isn't always fair.

I can't expect every city to have 38 Thai restaurants within 20 blocks of my apartment or hundreds of options for food at 4am. I know that not every city has entire neighborhoods dedicated to everything from Korean food to chandeliers, fabric and everything in between. Not every city has hundreds of free, top-notch entertainment options throughout the year. And it sadly isn't even a standard for all cities to have metros running 24 hours a day. Yet, after so much time living and working in NYC and growing up 30 minutes from it I have become a bit spoiled.

So, almost 4 months away and no return trip in sight, I am beginning to miss certain conveniences and luxuries more and more. Of course, in between adventures and daily life in Chile I have moments missing my family and friends, but I tend to think of NYC on a more frequent basis. Living in NYC is nothing but a love/hate relationship. It is the extreme, "THIS is life." highs, and rock bottom "I hate this fucking place with a passion" lows that make NYC so wild to live in. The city is always interesting and constantly keeps playing with your mind and emotions. I was so ready to get out of New York and live somewhere else and I still am very happy to be away, but NYC is still never far from my mind whether I want it to be or not.

That being said, here are a few images I took in my last month in New York:


Pushing through the crowds on Fifth Ave

Biking up Broadway

Occupy the heart

Highline Park overlooking the Hudson River

Classic NYC pretzel cart

The Time Warner Center

Reading the paper by Cooper Union

feeding the squirrel who would hangout outside and sometimes in, our apartment

He was harmless, funny and adorable... Oh, New York City...

No comments:

Post a Comment