Thursday, June 28, 2012

Santiago Student Protests

Chileans know how to protest. The excitement, energy and sheer strength of upwards of 50,000 driven individuals is captivating. The students in Chile, especially in Santiago, seem genuinely passionate about making their voices heard. As an outsider the issues are beyond my realm of true interest. I do hope they make progress in their fight for a new framework for education in Chile, but it obviously isn't something I'm emotionally invested in. For me it is an opportunity to experience and document the raw energy and unity that only a protest can evoke in complete strangers. Americans protest every once in a while, but never with a strength comparable to a classic Santiago student protest. There is another huge protest planned for today so I'm about to head over and check it out. Below are a few images from one last month. 












More photos to come from today's protest so check back!