Monday, January 18, 2010

Red Rocks - Denver

After 25 hours and about 1,900 miles of driving I pulled in to Denver at 1am without any real problems. I'll be staying with a friend here for about a week and a half while I visit a few closer resorts (Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin and Winter Park).

My first full day here and we went hiking at Red Rocks and checked out the amphitheater. It was just the edge of Colorado wilderness but I was immediately reminded that I really need to live somewhere beautiful and outdoorsy. New York City and the surrounding area is great, but Colorado and westward is nature done right.

Mike, his dog Nikita and I hiked around for a few hours and made a few friends who showed us an area that was basically a bunch of enormous boulders piled up making a series of caves, paths and tunnels. It was awesome to hike around but it got a little intense and Nikita had some trouble getting to some places. I have to say, I've never seen a dog do some of the things she did. She is definitely the most adventurous, capable and obedient dog I've ever seen. Climbing and jumping boulders that the average person would think twice about.

After exploring the caves we went to the amphitheater which is one of the cooler concert venues I've ever seen. I regret not going to Bisco Inferno there last June, but there will be other shows.

Now for some photos:

Mike climbing around


Nikita


The caves and new friends


Mike and Nikita in the caves


Me, taking a break, perhaps looking for God


The pile of boulders we were in


Red Rocks


Hiking


Red Rocks Amphitheater


The Free Jam Society

Seats


Red Rocks

Today I'm heading into the mountains to do some more hiking, shooting photos and shooting guns (for the first time). As long as there are no accidents or incidents I'll be posting on that soon. Tomorrow I'll be at Keystone and Breckenridge to finally get some snowboarding in.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome photos brandon! Come drive through San Francisco. You can crash on my couch and we can go frolick about!

    ReplyDelete