Thursday, January 28, 2010

Last minute trip to Vail

Vail is the resort I want to hate and there are some things about it that I do. Yet, the terrain is just too damn good to completely shun it from my life. I hadn't planned on visiting Vail, especially after the PR rep from Keystone kinda screwed me over, but I had to see what all the hype was about.

I'll start off by saying that the parking situation was terrible. We happened to find the small amount of free parking during the week but had to take a bus that only runs every half hour, which is pretty inconvenient. Then the price of the lift ticket alone is absolutely absurd. I love snowboarding and Vail does have a lot to offer, but $97 for a one day lift ticket? That is a lot of money, especially for a place that can afford to charge a lot less. It doesn't help that they charge $25 for parking if you don't happen to find one of the few free spots hidden around the village.

After driving around in confusion for 30 minutes and waiting another 20 for the bus we finally got on the mountain and it didn't take long to see what makes Vail so popular. The grooming was great, the views from all over the mountain were incredible and the sheer size of the resort(3,450 ft vertical drop, 5,289 acres, 34 lifts and 193 trails), the variety and the quality of the terrain was overwhelming. The overall vibe of the resort I wasn't crazy about, but I definitely had a great time riding around, enjoying the scenery and drooling at the number of possibilities that 5,289 acres can offer. I left the mountain feeling satisfied and wanting to return. But I feel it's the type of place to go when you can afford to stay in the village, pay for the lift tickets, experience what the village has to offer and have the convenience of not worrying about parking. That said, here are a few photos from the day:

Backside of Vail


Blue Sky Basin powder day

Blue Sky Basin at Vail

Tomorrow morning at 4am I leave the comfort of a warm bed, a hot tub, a strangely smart dog and a couple of great people that made me feel at home for 11 days. All for the back of my van. But it's okay because I'm going to Crested Butte, which I have been looking forward to for years. More on that soon..

No comments:

Post a Comment