Thursday, February 11, 2010

Salt Lake City

So the van-living has been full blown for about a week now. Its been an experience for sure. No real problems so far, I just have to adapt more than I had imagined.

I find myself looking at hotels/motels differently. I never used to pay attention to any, but I have found them the easier places to park the van for the night. Every hotel parking lot I pass I look at as a potential home for the night. What makes a good candidate? Parking on the side of the building, less street lights, a medium-full amount of cars in the lot (easier to blend and go unnoticed) and preferably trees/dumpsters/fences to park next to. It may sound odd but parking next to a dumpster provides a little comfort because it makes me feel protected on one side, or at least blocked from view from one side.

I won't say how long it has been since I've showered, but I will say its most likely the longest I've ever gone without a shower before. That is one of my bigger complaints. I always thought of myself as clean but it's so hard when my current living situation lacks any real bathroom facilities.

The last few days were spent at Snowbird, which is a great mountain. The terrain is unbelievable and we even got a little snow today. It was snowing throughout the day and it was the typical light as air, and super dry powder Utah is known for. It was a fun day but it just made me a little upset that all this amazing terrain is largely untouchable because of the icy and bare conditions. Beyond looking nice four inches of super light powder does little besides hiding the bumpy, icy layer underneath. That and make every turn dramatic from the cloud of snow that flies away at the slightest touch.

So tomorrow I'm in a hotel for the night so I will be able to set up my desktop and actually get some work done and post some new photos. AND I get to shower and relax. My body has a lot of aches, pains and funks from the van life, including a click in my neck every time I look left. It doesn't hurt, but it just doesn't seem normal.

I quickly typed this from the Cottonwood Canyon Cafe in the 15 minutes before they close, so it may be a little scattered, but that's ok, I'll have a more composed post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment